Subway chain of fast food restaurants are one of the healthiest restaurants that serve fast food. Nearly fifty different forms of sandwiches are available at Subway and are generally made as per the preferences of an individual customer. People can choose from among an assortment of breads, side orders and condiments, etc., to build their own custom meals. The nutritional information of all menu items available at Subway are published by the company, but the Subway sandwich nutrition data can differ as per the regional differences or the customer specifications. It may be noted that the published nutrition information about Subway sandwich nutrition is based on a standard configuration that includes lettuce, nine-grain wheat bread, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and cucumbers.
The Different Types of Subway Sandwich Nutrition
- The Different Types of Subway Sandwich Nutrition
Since the Subway sandwich nutrition are available in many different types, the nutritional information sheet about these sandwiches is divided into 6 categories. The classification of Subway sandwiches include:
- 6 inch sandwiches,
- 6 inch flatbread sandwiches that contain 7 g or less of fat,
- 6 inch low fat sandwiches that contain 6 g or less fat content,
- Footlongs that are low in fat,
- Kids meal sandwiches and
- 6 inch limited time offer subs or regional subs.
Subway sandwich nutrition
The Subway nutritional information about all the items available in the Subway sandwich nutrition menu is classified into sixteen different categories which are as follows:
- Serving size
- Calories from fat
- Saturated fat
- Total fat
- Trans fat
- Dietary fiber
- Percentage of daily value of vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium and iron
The Veggie Delight Subway sandwich nutrition contains the least fat content at 2.5 grams, as also the lowest calories at 230.
As per the Subway sandwich nutrition published in the nutritional sheet, the 6 inch sandwiches that contain the highest calorie content are the Meatball Marinara and the Big Pastrami, each having 580 calories. The item with the highest fat content is the 6 inch Subway Tuna with 30 g of fat.
The variations in the bread
Nine different types of standard breads for Subway sandwich nutrition are offered by Subway nutrition facts, in addition to mini Italian bread, mini wheat bread, light wheat English muffins and wraps. The breads that are available include:
- Italian herbs & cheese
- Honey oat
- Parmesan oregano
- Italian white
- 9-grain wheat
- Hearty Italian
- Roasted garlic
- Monterey cheddar
The Italian cheese & herbs, and the Monterey cheddar breads contain the highest levels of fat at 5 g. The most calories are provided by the honey oat bread, i.e. 260 calories, while at 200 calories the Italian white bread contains the lowest calorie levels.
Condiments and vegetables used in Subway sandwich nutrition
Patrons can choose from an assortment of condiments and vegetables that are available at Subway to add to their sandwiches.
- The different vegetables on the Subway sandwich nutrition menu include lettuce, onions, tomatoes, pickles, banana peppers, olives, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers and green peppers. All the above mentioned vegetables have limited nutritional value and contain 0 to 5 calories per serving.
- The various condiments along with the Subway nutrition information that are listed on the Subway nutritional data sheet include pepperoni, honey mustard sauce, bacon, olive oil blend, regular or light mayonnaise, vinegar, yellow or brown mustard, red wine vinaigrette, ranch dressing, sweet onion sauce and chipotle southwest sauce. Regular mayonnaise can carry as much as 12 g of fat, while most of the condiments contain up to 110 calories.
The vitamins and minerals offered by Subway sandwich nutrition
- Almost all Subway sandwich nutrition provide 20 to 30 percent of the daily required value of vitamin C. However, the 6 inch Barbeque Chicken offers 180 percent of the daily value while the 6 inch BLT gives only 8 percent.
- Most of the Subway sandwich nutrition available at Subway provide eight to 15 percent of the daily allowance of Vitamin A. However, 6 inch Meatball Marinara provides 40 percent, while the 6 inch Chicken Pizziola offers 20 percent of the daily vitamin A value.
- For iron, the percentages of daily value for all Subway sandwiches fall between 15 to 25 percent
- Most of the Subway sandwich nutrition provide a daily value of calcium that ranges from 2 percent to about 15 percent. However, the 6 inch Chicken & Bacon Ranch and the 6-inch Big Philly Cheesesteak offer 25 percent of daily value calcium, while the 6 inch Meatball Marinara provides 20 percent.
Regional and store differences in Subway sandwich nutrition
Subway permits the many Subway franchises that are individually owned to make regional variations of the different Subway sandwich nutrition. So as to appeal to the taste buds of the people in those localities. This is true for the many Subways located internationally. For example, the Subway located in New Zealand has a nutritional data sheet that consists of a roast lamb sandwich. Which cannot be availed in the United States.