Quinoa health benefits and nutrition facts. Quinoa is a grain that has been used in Ancient South American civilizations for many centuries. It has again gained popularity because of its health benefits and ease of cultivation. Quinoa is not actually a cereal but a pseudo cereal. They have a coating of a harmful substance on top which is removed during processing.
Quinoa health benefits and nutrition facts :
- High in protein : Quinoa is eaten as a cereal. It is quite high in protein. A 100 gram serving of quinoa yields 14 grams of protein which is great for any cereal.
- High in energy : Quinoa provides about 350 calories per 100 grams. But this is mainly complex carbohydrates which are digested and assimilated much slowly in comparison to simple carbohydrates like those found in bananas. This is a great cereal to stay energetic all day without feeling too full and is thus a great choice for athletes. They also consume chia seeds which come from Central America.
- Gluten free : Quinoa is free from gluten and is apt for consumption by people who abandon grains because of their gluten content. People who are gluten intolerant should take quinoa as it is one of the few cereals they can take.
- Quinoa is a good source of calcium and can be substitute for milk to provide the calcium needs of men and women.
- Quinoa is also a good source of dietary iron. It helps in preventing anemia and improves blood composition.
- It is a good source of manganese, magnesium, tryptophan, folate and polyunsaturated fats.
- Quinoa’s tryptophan content helps the body in producing serotonin which is a great stimulant in the brain. It helps to improve mood and helps in better sleep.
- Much of the quinoa’s protein is concentrated in terms of amino acids. It provides most of the essential amino acids required in diet.
- It helps in diabetes. Since it is similar to a grain, quinoa helps to keep blood sugar levels under control. Its rich in complex carbohydrates so energy is released slowly from it.
- Constipation : It has got lots of dietary fiber which helps in relieving constipation.
- Quinoa leaves can be used as vegetable. It is like spinach in flavor and also provides similar benefits.
- Quinoa paste with water can set a fractured bone. Eating quinoa during this time heals the bone faster.
- It is a brilliant endurance which can be used for performing at high altitudes where it grows in the Andes mountains.
- Quinoa helps to vomit easily and can be used when the person seems to have symptoms of food poisoning but is unable to vomit easily. It is also helpful in relieving the vomiting and dizziness experienced at heights, known as altitude phobia.
- It is great for relieving numerous problems of women because of its high iron and calcium content.