Moringa oleifera, is widely considered as drumstick tree, is a tropical plant grown for its nutritious leafy-greens, flower buds, and mineral-rich green fruit pods. It belongs to the Moringaceae family of trees, and is supposed to come from sub-Himalayan forests of the Indian subcontinent. It has horseradish-like root and is known to the western world as horseradish tree. The young and tender seed pods from moringa are seen commonly as murnga in Tamil, and malunggay in Philippines.
Moringa Nutrition Facts
Moringa, especially its leaves contains lots of nutrition facts. The tender leaves and twigs are usually harvested all the time from a 1.5 to 2 meters tall plant. Taller plants possesses cream-white, small size flowers in clusters throughout the season, which then turns into long slender dark-green, three-sided, edible seed pods with tapering ends. Each pod is about 6-18 inches in length with constrictions at the seed nodes and thereby offering them a special drumstick-like appearance.
Moringa leaves are full of critical and essential nutrients which subsequently become one of the most natural home remedies for treating diseases. Follow are some Moringa nutrition facts you can pay a careful consideration.
- Vitamin A can act as a shield against eye disease, skin disease, heart ailments, diarrhea, and many other diseases.
- Vitamin C helps combat with a number of illnesses including colds and flu.
- Calcium with the aim of building strong bones and teeth aids in osteoporosis prevention.
- Potassium is essential for the functioning of the brain and nerves.
- Proteins play an important role in the basic building blocks of all body cells.
Health Benefits of Moringa
- Surprisingly, moringa plant contains nutritional value as well as qualities which provides for millions of impoverished people from different parts of the world who badly need for nutritional supplements including protein, minerals , and vitamins.
- Moringa green leaves can serve as a wonderful source of protein which is a typical feature for any herbs and leafy-greens in all populations of plants. Every 100 g of fresh raw leaves can contain 9.8 g of protein or about 17.5% of daily-required levels. Dry and powdered leaves are highly recommended to use due to good source of some quality amino acids.
- In addition, the leaves are one of the excellent sources of minerals like calcium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc, selenium, and magnesium. Iron reduces the symptoms of anemia. Calcium is required for bone mineralization while zinc plays a critical role in lengthening hair, spermatogenesis, and skin health condition.
- Fresh pods and seeds offer rich source of oleic acid, a health-benefiting monounsaturated fat. Moringa, having high-quality oilseed crop, can be grown alternatively to enhance nutrition levels in many drought regions of Africa and Asia.
- The greens and pods contain good amounts of many vital B-complex vitamins such as folates,vitamin-B6(pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and niacin. Much of these vitamin regulate co-enzymes in carbohydrate, fat metabolism and protein.
In spite of the fact that moringa plant affords numerous health-benefiting qualities, it is strongly suggested to use it as a vegetable but not as medicine. Moringa root possesses alkaloid spirochin, which is a potential neuro-paralytic toxin. In contrast, its leaves when being consumed in large quantities may pose a threat to your overall health condition causing stomach upset, loose-stools and gaseous distension coming down to the laxative properties.
More Similar Post Like Moringa Nutritiob Facts
- Pineapple Good For Bones
- Various Benefits of Pineapple Fruit
- Health Benefits of Pineapples and 10 Facts about It
- Nutritional Value Of Persimmons
- What the Amish Can Teach You About Yellow Watermelon Nutrition Facts
- How Nutritional Information Banana Makes You a Better Lover
- Other Post on Fruit Nutrition Categories
- Myths Uncovered About Pineapple Nutrition Facts
- What is the Content of Bromelain in Pineapple
- Five Reasons For Taking Advantage of Beetroot Health Benefits
- Baking Soda Nutrition Facts and Its Health Benefits
- Facts about Argan Oil Nutrition and Its Health Benefits