Milk Nutrition Facts
Very few food products are there, which can be tagged as “perfect”. Milk is one of the few exceptions. It cannot be stated that milk is a “perfect” food, but it is near perfect. It has all the possible nutrients necessary for a healthy body. Hence, it is of immense importance to intake milk everyday whatever being your age is. If you look into the milk nutrition facts, then you will see milk does contain all the necessary ingredients to keep you healthy.
The basic contents of milk
- Vitamins A, B, D (mainly)
Some important milk nutrition facts:
Children should have milk everyday:
Milk contains nine essential nutrients which help in growth and maintaining a healthy body. Along with proteins, vitamins and carbohydrate milk also contain calcium, potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin, zinc, and magnesium. Researchers have proved that the children who intake milk daily are much healthier, stronger and posses more immunity than the children who doesn’t drink milk regularly.
Have milk according to your need and body:
Sometimes it is difficult to come to a conclusion regarding what type of milk you should give to your children. It is a very common problem among parents. Milk nutrition facts state that it can be divided into roughly 4 groups: whole milk, 1 % fat milk, 2 % fat milk and fat free milk.
Experts suggest that, for children below 2 years, it is better to provide whole milk which contains 3.5-4 % fat. During this period, the brain develops the most, so fat is very essential during this period.
From milk nutrients facts it is know that, once children crosses 2 years, they automatically get fat in other food substances. So, you can reduce the fat content in the milk as he is already getting the fat. Hence, parents should give fat-free or reduced fat milk to their children once they are older than 2-3 years.
Now, some children are prone to obesity and due to genetic issues they may have cholesterol problem. High fat content food may be fatal and can lead to heart attacks. That is why it is advised to provide less-fat content milk to those children who are prone to obesity or are already over weight or have a family background of obesity.
Many children don’t like milk or milk products. They either don’t like the taste or the smell. So, now you can get many flavored milk available in the market. This is a good initiative to make your children have their milk.
Yes, it is true that flavored milk has high sugar content and the fat content is also high. But, milk nutrition facts break the myth and that it is always better to have these other than having no milk at all. Flavored milk also does contain all the nine essential nutrients that are present in non-flavored milk. So, it is quite healthy and safe. They give quite the same effect.
It is always better to give the non flavored milk, but when your children are not at all ready to have them, you can go for the flavored ones.
Details of the milk nutrients:
- Carbohydrates: according to milk nutrition facts, the carbohydrate content of milk can be estimated to about 13 grams for 250 ml of milk. Here lactose is the main constituent which is basically a disaccharide that is it is made up of two molecules of sugar. Each lactose molecule can be further broken into glucose and fructose molecules. And the absence of any starchy part gives it the food value.
- Fat: milk boosts the presence of important fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6. In a glass of 250 ml of milk, 2.5 grams is by parts of fats, which is mainly saturated fats. Saturated acids may be of two types- monosaturated acids and polysaturated acids.
- Proteins: An approximate amount of 8 grams of protein are present in a 250 ml glass of milk. Casein and whey protein are the proteins found in milk. Protein is one of the major content in milk.
- Vitamins: milk nutrition facts proudly state the fact that a glass of 250 ml of milk supplies your body with the daily requirement of about 44% of the essential vitamins. Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, riboflavin are all listed among them. It also contains vitamin B. you can see that milk contains almost all the necessary vitamins hence it it of immense importance.
- Minerals: minerals like calcium, potassium, iron, selenium, zinc, phosphorus, sodium all are present in small amounts in a glass full of milk. Only the mineral copper is absent that does not have any such advantageous usage.
- Others: among other elements present are water and cholesterol. Cholesterol is present is a small amount, around 12 milligram but water is present in 220 grams in a 250 ml measurement glass.
Obesity is a factor to be kept in mind:
Milk nutrition facts are always useful but what should also be kept in mind is that there lies a problem with toddlers who are already overweight or is prone to obesity. Since milk already boosts of the presence of cholesterol though in a small amount, yet doctors are advising low fat milk in case of such toddlers. That is milk having less than 2% of fat. Obesity is a serious cause in today’s world and parents who have a history of it in their genes should be extra careful in case of their 1 year old toddlers.
Nowadays there is an increase level of awareness to spread the advantages of breast feeding your baby. And the problems associated when it does not happen. This thoughtful step was taking after an increase in the death of babies within 1 year of their birth. The working mothers reading these milk nutrition facts should make it a point to breast feed their babies for at least a year as this has to deal with the immunity potential he later develops.