Health benefits of grapes and nutrition facts. They are delicious and grow in clusters. Grapes are native to Eastern Europe and Western Asia. They have been traditionally grown in these areas and used as medicine as well. Grapes are a low calorie fruit with less sugar. They provide good nutrition. They come in many colors – red, green , purple and black. There are many varieties of grapes, like concord, muscadine and sultana.
Health benefits of grapes :
- They reduce the risk of heart disease : Grapes have protective effect on the blood vessels. They prevent deposition of plaque in arteries and thus keep the cardiovascular system safe from disease.
- Dilating blood vessels : Grapes lead to production of nitric oxide in the body, which causes dilation of blood vessels and improved blood flow in areas where blood vessels regularly remain constricted.
- Lower blood pressure : Grapes lower the activity of a specific substance known as angiotensin. This substance is known to be a cause of high blood pressure. Grapes help to lower blood pressure.
- Resveratrol : This is a nutrient in grapes and found in few other foods. Resveratrol is found to have anti-aging properties and may also increase the life span of organisms that take grapes regularly. This nutrient also has anti-cancer effects. It prevents heart disease and heart attack that may occur because of aging of the cardiac muscles of heart. It is also being studied for its effects on Alzheimer’s disease.
- Anthocyanins : They are polyphenols found in large quantity in purple grapes. Anthocyanins reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes and nervous disease.
- Antioxidants : Nutrients in grapes are powerful antioxidants. They prevent the oxidation of body cells by free radicals. High concentration of antioxidants also has anti-aging effects.
- Anti-inflammatory effects : Grapes have a mild effect against inflammation. If consumed regularly, they can contribute to lower inflammation in the body.
- Grapes have a protective effect on the liver.
- They are use in cleansing the colon. A grape fast is a process in which a person eats only grapes for a few hours and nothing else. This is a cleanse for the colon.
- Grapes and raisins quench thirst. People who feel excessively thirsty can get relief by eating grapes.
Benefits of grape juice for the brain :
Grapes nutrition :
- They are a good source of Vitamin B 1, Vitamin B 2 and Vitamin B 6. They also provide good amounts of Vitamin C and Vitamin K.
- Grapes also provide some minerals in small amounts, like iron, manganese, potassium and very little sodium and fluoride.