Being vegan doesn’t mean eating tasteless and colorless food. Otherwise, this diet allows you to understand food and how to take advantage of it for your benefit.
Veganism is considered a lifestyle. People who follow this trend are rigorous about what they eat and what they use in their daily life. This regime excludes animal-derived ingredients such as meat, eggs, and dairy products.
Creativity is the keyword for cooking vegan dishes since they have many constraints on ingredients. It would be complicated to prepare varied and delicious dishes. Thus, it is essential to know which food is suitable for vegan diets and use them wisely.
Rice is the most popular vegan choice
The vegan diet focuses on only consuming plant-based food, avoiding any product derived from animal origin. It may seem excessively restrictive and complicated to follow.
This is not the case because vegan plans are diverse and include beans, grains, fruits, nuts, pulses, seeds, and vegetables. They are prepared in various combinations ensuring nutritious meals.
Rice excels as the preferred choice in vegan regimes. This humble grain is an abundant source of carbohydrates, proteins, and fiber. Combine it with the right ingredients; it turns into a healthy vegan dish.
Soft texture, blank flavor, and quick cooking times are the main reasons rice is the ideal choice for vegans. It is easy to include in any food preparation, whether it is sugary or salty.
Vegan dishes incorporating rice are anything but tasteless or colorless. You can find countless recipes that are equally delicious and tempting.
Vegan fried rice, Pilaf, Mujadara (Lebanese lentils), Spanish rice, Biryani, vegan Paella, rice pudding, Jollof rice, Arancini, coconut curry, and risotto, are a few dishes you can prepare following a vegan regime.
Open your mind to new ideas
Generally, rice is the main component of vegan dishes like pilaf or risotto. But, you can do more than that with this grain. It perfectly works as a binding agent substitute in most recipes that have bread crumbs and flour. For example, stuffing for peppers or empanadas is delicious with rice.
Another way to make different dishes is by using leftover rice. You can prepare new dishes by adding new components to old-cooked rice. Rice pudding and fried rice are two good options.
You can even cook recipes that include meat as an ingredient replacing it with proper vegan options that will keep the same delightful taste. Here there is an idea for cooking a vegan meatloaf, successrice.com/recipes/vegan-brown-rice-bbq-meatloaf/.
For more options, check out these recipes and discover new ideas for introducing rice preparations into your vegan diet.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 1 chopped shallot.
- 16 ounces of diced mushrooms.
- 2 tablespoons of tamari.
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- ½ teaspoon of maple syrup.
- 2 minced garlic cloves.
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- 1 teaspoon of sriracha.
- ½ cup of walnuts.
- 1 cup of short-grain brown rice.
- 2 cups of water.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce.
- Sea salt to taste.
- Ground black pepper to taste.
- Hamburger buns
- Desired burger fixings. Some options: grilled vegetables, sliced red onions, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, guacamole, chipotle sauce.
- In a big skillet, pour olive oil and heat at medium temperature.
- Add shallots and cook for 1 minute.
- Incorporate the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add tamari, vinegar, and maple syrup. Combine very well.
- Add garlic, smoked paprika, and sriracha. Take out of the heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan, pour water, salt, and rice. Cook until boiling. Then, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender. Let it cool.
- Use a food processor for mixing the previous ingredients. Add mushrooms, walnuts, and rice. Pulse until getting a uniform mixture.
- Form 4 patties with the mixture, place them on a plate, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high temperature.
- Brush the patties with olive oil and cook them on the grill for 5 minutes for each side.
- Once they are cooked, brush them with Worcestershire sauce, and serve in the buns with the desired fixings.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 cup of white rice.
- 2 chopped onions.
- 6 minced garlic cloves.
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms.
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 2 cups of tomato sauce.
- Salt to taste.
- Italian herb mix to taste.
- Black pepper to taste.
- In a saucepan, add water, salt, and rice. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is tender. Set aside for cooling.
- In a frying pan, add olive oil and heat at high temperatures.
- Incorporate onions, garlic cloves, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place these cooked vegetables in a food processor along with rice.
- Add salt, black pepper, and Italian herbs mixed.
- Turn on the food processor and mix until you get a firm mixture.
- Form patties with it.
- In the frying pan, add more olive oil and fry the patties.
- Add tomato sauce to the frying pan and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with vegan pasta.