The well-known dish of rice cooked in stock with other ingredients, most of the time meat and vegetables is a traditional meal in Italy. However, you can stand out by preparing a very special recipe with a different ingredient: salmon. Here we present this special curry risotto with baked salmon recipe for you to try. Your guests, both young and old, will enjoy it very much.
It is a delicate dish, appropiate for a regular or a more elegant dinner with guests. It is full of flavor, and makes a small amount of fresh salmon go a long way. You can learn more about this appetizing dish at riceselect.com/recipe/curry-risotto-baked-salmon and then you’ll surely want to try it in your kitchen.
This combination of risotto and curry may be strange, but they actually go very well together, and it is appreciated by many. Even though many people think its preparation is complicated, with the version we present here you will see it is not. On the contrary, it is a simple recipe that we offer here for you to shine as a good cook!
Make sure you have all the necessary ingredients fo your risotto. They are:
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice. It must be short- or medium-grain rice, which is the classical for risotto preparation, since it absorbs a lot of liquid.
- 3 cups chicken broth, warmed.
- 1 cup of canned coconut milk, stirred and warmed.
- 2 tablespoon of Thai red curry paste.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 4 salmon fillets. It must be fresh or frozen and defrosted salmon.
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder.
- ½ tablespoon of ground ginger.
- Fresh cilantro, chopped.
- ½ tablespoon of garlic powder.
This risotto will be the perfect base for the crusty baked salmon. It is a preparation full of flavor, and makes a small amount of fresh salmon go a long way. Have a cooking pot and a frying or saucepan at hand for this recipe. Then, follow the directions below to prepare this creamy curry risotto.
- Add the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Toast the rice until it gets golden brown.
- Then slowly stir in broth and the ½ cup at a time.
- Cook until broth is absorbed. It will take around 20-30 minutes.
- Slowly stir in warmed coconut milk and the ½ cup at a time.
- Cook until coconut milk is absorbed.
- Stir in curry paste, garlic and curry powder.
Adding both spicy Thai red curry paste and curry powder produce a balanced dish with creamy coconut milk.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then add salmon.
- Season fillets with ginger and garlic.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until easily flaked or desired doneness.
- Serve salmon over risotto and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Baking a salmon in the oven takes no much time and leaves very little mess.
Useful recipe tips
Here you will have some recommendations for you to cook this delightful dish:
- When preparing this recipe be sure to stir frequently in order to thicken the liquid to get a creamy produce.
- You can also use other herbs like basil or bay leaves so your risotto will have a much nicer flavor!
- As a side dish for this risotto with baked salmon you can serve alongside a nice salad salad.
- You do not need to wash the rice, so that to maintain the starch present, which is very important for the creamy texture.
- Onions must be very finely to chop so that they can melt into the rice and you will not bite on pieces of it.
- For those who are big fan of curry you can add more curry powder than what is indicated in this recipe.
- You can also season your dish with more curry powder before serving, but bearing in mind that this spice get fuller flavor after heated.
- On the other hand, for those who do not like a spicy meal, you can use slightly less curry powder.
- When you add the stock or water, it needs to be at least room temperature, or warm.
- To get more flavor and a perfect texture, it is recommended to use warm broth and coconut milk to make sure that everything cooks evenly.
- Although you do not have to keep watching when cooking the rice in the skillet, you do have to keep a close eye on it and stir often. This will make the liquid to be thoroughly distributed and rice starches are properly released.
As many nutrionists have pointed out there are nutrients obtained from the consumption of rice. Among the main nutrients provided specifically by risotto are: magnesium, vitamin B6, potassium, zinc, copper, and phosphorus, niacin, vitamin D, vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, iron, thiamine and riboflavin.
Also, rice constitutes an energetic source for our organism, because it is very rich in carbohydrates, and does not have any harmful fats or bad cholesterol. It means it is a great partner to treat obesity and overweight problems.
The risotto rice helps keeping up with brain health. So, eating enough carbs is vital for cerebrum function since glucose is its primary energy source. Some investigations carried out indicate that the right amount of glucose usage can reduce and prevent irritation.
Furthermore, the risotto is able to prevent mental deficiencies, particularly in older people. To this respect, the US Department of Agriculture has recommended that grown-ups consume 45% to 65% of their complete calories from starches.
Definitely, this recipe will be one to be remembered by its flavor and substance, but also because of its benefits.