Selenium is found as an essential trace mineral that is necessary for cognitive function. This is also found as effective tool for immune system and fertility in both men and women. Selenium can be taken from a variety of food. However, you can find most of them in the richest sources such as Brazil nuts, seafood and organ meats as well as other ingredients.
The high amount of selenium in food usually depends on the selenium concentration of the soil and water, in which the food is grown.
There have been researches providing an in-depth look at recommended intake of selenium with lots of possible health benefits. According to these studies, foods that have high amount of selenium can bring about lots of potential health risks of consuming selenium.
Recommended intake – Health Benefits of Selenium
- Recommended intake – Health Benefits of Selenium
- 1. Inflammation – Health Benefits of Selenium
- 2. Sunburn – Health Benefits of Selenium
- 3. Fertility – Health Benefits of Selenium
- 4. Prostate Cancer – Health Benefits of Selenium
- 5. Diabetes – Health Benefits of Selenium
- 6. Immune System – Health Benefits of Selenium
- 7. Head Skin - Health Benefits of Selenium
According to the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA), you will need 55 micrograms of selenium per day for adults. For pregnant and lactating women, they might need a bit more, up to 60 and 70 micrograms per day, respectively.
Selenium deficiency is no longer the big issue nowadays around the world. This only happens in regions with severely low selenium content such as China. In those regions and nations, it is needed that they need supplementation programs.
1. Inflammation – Health Benefits of Selenium
Selenium usually involves in the production of prostaglandins in the body that help to regulate inflammation. Along with that, it can efficiently help to reduce inflammation relating to Rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Sunburn – Health Benefits of Selenium
Selenium works the best when it is coupled with vitamin E. The reason for this is the high concentration of antioxidant that help to prevent the formation of free radicals. As a result, it will help to reduce the risk of skin cancer as well as sunburn effectively.
3. Fertility – Health Benefits of Selenium
Selenium plays an important part in male fertility, too. There have been studies illustrate that supplementation with this nutrient might brilliantly increase fertility in a group of men that has poor sperm quality.
4. Prostate Cancer – Health Benefits of Selenium
There have been studies carried out by National Cancer Institute pointing out that men who are deficient of selenium intake daily might double the risk of aggressive prostate cancer compared to those who have selenium supplements to the health.
5. Diabetes – Health Benefits of Selenium
There also have studies pointing out that people who took 200 micrograms a day of selenium is more likely to develop type 2 diabetes. However, it’s unknown whether the selenium triggers the disease. For the sake of your health, you can consult doctor first.
6. Immune System – Health Benefits of Selenium
Wide ranges of health benefits of selenium have been found to boost the immune system. Along with that, it would efficiently help to fight against bacterial and viral infections, as well as cancer cells and herpes virus. Along with that, you will no longer have to worry about cold sores, shingles as well as other health issues. Besides, there are lots of benefits of selenium that can help to increase the HDL cholesterol to LDL cholesterol for a healthy heart.
7. Head Skin - Health Benefits of Selenium
Selenium is also extremely beneficial for skin during healing after the burn injuries. The trick for this is that you can use selenium to alleviate dandruff problems. A part from that to take care of your skin, you can make use of antioxidant properties to regenerate vitamins E and C, thereby decreasing the aging of skin.
More Similar Post Like Health Benefits of Selenium
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Delicious & Nutritious Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Health Benefits of Figs Nutrition
- Soybeans Nutrition – The Magic of Soybeans
- Looking For Edamame Nutrition
- Beets Nutrition Facts
- Are YOU Looking For Nutrition Facts of Cabbage
- The Benefits Of Vinegar
- Health Benefits of Calcium you Should Know
- Health Benefits of Iodine that Works